Earth Observation for Sustainable Development (EO4SD) Forest Management
European Space Agency
July 2020 – Ongoing
The project aims to demonstrate the utility and benefit of mainstreaming Earth observation (EO) based forest information products and services for World Bank and Asian Development Bank (ADB) activities. As part of a consortium led by GAF AG in Germany, we defined a quality assured portfolio of geospatial forest information products that can be used across the project life cycle in diverse regions including Latin America, Southeast Asia, Pacific Islands, and Africa.
Projects were selected in Indonesia, Fiji, Ethiopia, Paraguay, Republic of Côte d’Ivoire, Republic of Congo, Mozambique, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. Demonstration products and services were delivered and validated and evaluated with the development banks and their government partners.
A series of capacity building webinars and workshops were implemented to share knowledge and results of the project.
Hatfield led the engagement with the development banks in Indonesia, Fiji, and Ethiopia. We were the thematic lead for the mangrove extent and condition mapping component of the EO4SD-FM portfolio. Hatfield engaged with:
- World Bank Resilient Landscapes and Livelihoods Project (RLLP) (Ethiopia)
- World Bank Climate Action through Landscape Management Program for Results (CALM) (Ethiopia)
- World Bank Mangroves for Coastal Resilience (M4CR) (Indonesia)
- ADB Forest Investment Program 1 (FIP-1) Community-Focused Investments to Address Deforestation and Forest Degradation (Indonesia)
- ADB Building Coastal Resilience through Nature-based and Integrated Solutions (Fiji)