Hatfield is one of the last remaining truly independent, employee-owned and operated environmental consultancies of our size in Western Canada. With close to 50 years of environmental consulting experience, Hatfield’s work culture focuses on scientific excellence, applying collective expertise to advance environmental stewardship and responsible development, professional development, collaboration with a fun and inclusive environment, and flexible work arrangements, including remote and hybrid work options, and a biweekly Earned Day Off program. We offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and an RRSP matching plan. We have a flat organizational structure, and a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression and rewards.
We are privileged to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers, an award we cherish and dedicate to our amazing people. We offer a comprehensive and complimentary range of environmental and social services throughout Canada and in strategic international markets.
With over 200 team members, and growing, in Western Canada our talented people are involved with sustainable development of communities and infrastructure, climate change adaptation and resiliency, and some of the region’s most challenging projects. Our complimentary workforce of biologists, technicians, physical science professionals, project managers, permitting specialists, and strategic regulatory experts, contributes across the full project lifecycle to a diverse client base in a variety of industry sectors. From nature-based watercourse protection and habitat offsetting designs, to complex federal and provincial assessments, permitting and baseline studies, from renewable power plants to transportation networks, and extraction of natural resources, our Infrastructure and Environmental Management team provide valuable inputs at all stages.
A career with us is rewarding and fun! Discover why so many talented professionals are choosing Hatfield and what separates us from the rest.
Hatfield is excited to offer this senior level leadership position for our Infrastructure and Environmental Management team in Calgary. It presents a tremendous opportunity for an experienced, seasoned, energetic, and strategically minded individual at a progressive, reputable, and growing consultancy.
Reporting to the Hatfield Managing Partners, you will be responsible for leading and growing our team of environmental professionals, business development planning and implementation for a diverse portfolio of clients and projects, and enhancing Hatfield’s environmental management and regulatory expertise on infrastructure projects throughout Alberta, with a key focus on Calgary, Central and Southern Alberta.
You will possess a demonstrated track record of successfully growing and leading business groups within the consulting industry. With a solid network of contacts and an aptitude for team leadership, you will excel with business development and project direction. Based on a broad knowledge and multiple years’ experience in the delivery of environmental management on major projects, you will revel in the challenges of pursuing and leading a diversity of infrastructure projects across multiple sectors.
The successful candidate will have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Transportation development.
- Transmission and distribution powerlines.
- Municipal infrastructure.
- Pipeline development.
- Renewable energy.
- Permitting and Environmental Assessment.
- Lead, grow, and mentor a strong and diverse team of environmental managers, specialists, and technicians executing infrastructure development projects for environmental design, baseline studies, environmental assessment, and construction and operations monitoring.
- Champion strategic planning and market analysis initiatives with the senior management team.
- Identify business opportunities and lead the pursuit and proposal development process for infrastructure development projects.
- Develop and maintain key client relationships and strategic partnerships to build capacity and service a diverse complement of infrastructure sectors.
- Provide front-end early strategic advice to clients on how best to navigate and succeed in regulatory processes.
- Lead interdisciplinary teams of environmental managers and specialists to effectively deliver environmental management programs across a range of valued components.
- Review and sign-off technical reports for clients, industry, and regulators.
- Represent the environmental management team and our clients in regulatory and community meetings, workshops and events, and oversee the preparation of presentation materials.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant environmental discipline.
- Minimum twenty years of experience leading and growing business groups in a consultancy environment.
- Experience developing strong relationships with clients and directing teams of technical experts.
- In-depth knowledge and experience working in Southern Alberta’s infrastructure sectors are essential; other provincial experience is considered an asset.
- Relevant professional designation in Alberta, or eligibility for registration.
- Impeccable leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Strategic thinker with demonstrated competency and knowledge of Canadian federal and Alberta provincial environmental assessment legislation and processes.
- Motivated self-starter with a positive can-do attitude and desire to champion mentorship for their team.
- Exceptional project management skills, including verbal and written communication, technical reporting, budget tracking, and team development.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Regional Lead, Infrastructure and Environmental Management – Calgary” in your subject line. Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be notified but we will retain your resume for any future openings.