With close to 50 years of environmental consulting experience, Hatfield’s work culture focuses on scientific excellence, professional development, and a fun and inclusive environment. In addition, we have a flat organizational structure, and a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression.
We are seeking a skilled marine professional to join our Marine and Coastal Development team at PT Hatfield Indonesia as a full-time employee. The marine specialist is expected to provide a suitable level of technical competency on the subject area(s) for which you are responsible and will be responsible to contribute to project deliverables. Your role includes project implementation, may include coordination and supervision of other staff and/or sub-consultants, and support with marketing and business development activites to develop new opportunities. In addition, you may be asked to assume some management responsibility, at the project level, as a project manager or assistant project manager. Your passion and expertise are essential to help grow our business and we offer an attractive opportunity to be part of a company that interacts across a wide range of sectors and clients, in Indonesia and internationally.
- Work in multi-disciplinary teams to undertake projects related to marine and fisheries resources sampling programs, aquatic baseline characterization and impact assessments, coastal and marine assessment and quantification, and marine conservation and monitoring against national and international standards, and other quality driven environmental studies.
- Support the development of appropriate studies and tools to answer study-specific marine aspects within a range of projects in the marine and coastal sectors.
- Identify and assist with developing fish habitat enhancement/compensation opportunities, marine biodiversity and blue carbon assessments, and offset plans to project-specific impacts.
- Organize and at times lead field surveys potentially in remote locations for extended periods.
- Organize workshops and stakeholder meetings, at times in remote locations.
- Collaborate on team activities, including preparation of project work plans, schedules, budgets, technical activities, and assist in coordinating technical staff and sub-consultants to ensure efficient use of corporate resources, preparation, and editing of documents (proposals, reports, and geomatic outputs).
- Ensure QA/QC on project outputs to ensure the highest possible standards, and any additional tasks required to ensure that project outputs are completed on time, on budget, and to acceptable corporate standards.
- Participate in the development and implementation of marketing and business development activities, and at times, lead the preparation of technical and financial proposals as required for current and prospective clients.
Education and Experience:
- B.Sc. in degree in marine, fishery or biology sciences relevant fields, Master’s degree from a reputable university will be an advantage.
- Minimum five years experience in managing and implementing projects such as biodiversity assessments, marine (including underwater) and coastal surveys, fisheries or aquaculture stock assessments, certification schemes, carbon offsetting, community livelihoods and stakeholder consultations, and MPA planning, preferably in a consulting environment and with a demonstrable track record of increasing responsibilities.
- Experience in stakeholder engagement, especially with NGO and government officials and working with international experts would be a strong asset.
- Proficient with national regulations regarding environmental impact assessments, and environmental permitting.
- Experience implementing projects complying with international standards/safeguards, i.e., International Finance Corporation (IFC) Performance Standards and World Bank Environmental and Social Framework.
- Experience in project management (team, scheduling, budgeting, client and sub consultant management).
- Possess good network of contacts with potential clients and donor/aid agencies.
- Experience in developing and recommending studies and approaches for clients to achieve compliance with international standards for environmental and social risk management.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork; and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations for extended periods of time.
- Ability to multi-task, perform tasks outside the usual job scope, and willing to travel frequently on short notice.
- Experience providing mentorship to technical and non-technical team members.
- Excellent communication in Bahasa Indonesia and English (oral and written – technical and scientific writing).
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Intermediate computer skills required: MS Office.
- Strong analytical skills, statistics and R programming would all be desirable skills.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, or disability.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume describing your experience and salary expectations through email to: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please include “Marine Specialist” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Please submit only via email and not through the online submission “Apply Now” form.