With close to 50 years of environmental consulting experience, Hatfield’s work culture focuses on scientific excellence, professional development, a fun and inclusive environment, and providing flexible work arrangements including hybrid work options and a biweekly earned days off program. In addition, we have a flat organizational structure, and a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression.
We are seeking a permanent full-time Environmental Impact Assessment Manager, preferably based out of one of Hatfield’s Western Canadian office locations. The successful candidate will provide additional management and leadership within our environmental impact assessment practice and should possess a solid knowledge and understanding of federal and BC provincial environmental assessment legislation and review processes. Based on a broad knowledge of and multiple years’ experience with the management and coordination of environmental assessments, including Indigenous, regulatory and community engagement, the ideal candidate will revel in the challenges of a diversity of infrastructure projects across multiple sectors (e.g., transportation and energy infrastructure, extractive industries, coastal and marine development). Furthermore, they will have a broad understanding of interdisciplinary considerations for managing complex and long-term environmental assessments.
- Support or lead environmental assessment teams in collaboration with an internal Project Management Team, and internal and external specialists and scientists responsible for conducting environmental, social, economic, heritage and health assessments based on federal and BC provincial requirements.
- Manage environmental assessment projects, including serving as primary client contact to provide guidance and advice on regulatory expectations, risks and opportunities.
- Lead or participate in engagement activities with regulators, Indigenous groups, communities, and stakeholders as part of the project design, environmental assessment and permitting process.
- Promote Hatfield’s strong health and safety culture and ISO9001 compliant quality management plan.
- Lead the development and review of environmental assessment documents (Initial and Detailed Project Description, Impact Statement/Application etc.).
- Lead project management tasks including the creation and monitoring of budgets and schedules, coordination of sub-consultant contracts, and monthly invoicing.
- Participate in the development and implementation of local business development and marketing plans, including the preparation of technical and financial proposals as required for current and prospective clients.
- Mentor and provide direction to junior and intermediate staff and build collaborative relationships with subconsultants and clients.
Education and Experience:
- A graduate degree in a relevant discipline is preferred.
- Eight or more years of experience supporting or leading federal or BC provincial environmental assessments of major projects, preferably as a professional Consultant and/or a Regulator.
- Experience liaising directly with clients and managing large teams of technical experts.
- Experience engaging directly with Indigenous groups, regulators, stakeholders, and members of the public through project specific meetings and engagement sessions.
- Experience with marine projects is considered an asset.
- Relevant professional designation in BC and/or Canada.
- Knowledge and understanding of federal and BC provincial environmental assessment legislation and processes.
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of environmental assessment policy and guidance, including multi-disciplinary technical requirements.
- Demonstrated aptitude for project management and excellent organization and problem-solving skills.
- Ability and interest to undertake business development.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing).
- Aptitude with MS Suite of tools (Project, SharePoint, Excel).
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
We extend an invitation to applicants of all levels to submit their candidacy for this role. Please be advised, that in the course of our assessment of your qualifications, we retain the right to adjust the seniority classification of the position accordingly.
To apply, please submit CV in confidence through the online form or email: resumes@hatfieldgroup.
Please note that we will only consider candidates who are authorized to work in Canada at the time of application. Proof of eligibility to work in Canada may be required prior to employment.